In reading a friend's blog, it made me realize that I never talk about myself. There's no denying the fact that once you have a child your world revolves around them and I love it, but I also need to still help people to know me. So here it goes...
With Jordan still out of work, you can imagine things have been tough for us. I have been amazed at how the Lord has blessed us and each month we seem to get by (though the hospital would sure appreciate it if we paid our bills I bet). Jordan has searched high and low for a job. I have been shocked by some of his stories about the interviews that he goes on. He had a very promising one today, so we will keep our fingers crossed. Our family and neighbors have been so kind to help us out and even our Bishop has given us work. Due to our situation, so many people have asked me if I am going to go back to teaching. The thing is, I don't think the Lord works that way. He clearly told me to quit my job; therefore, this is a trial of my faith. To make some extra money, I clean a mortuary early in the morning 3 days a week. Yes, there are deceased people there occasionally, but I try to not focus on the morbid side and am grateful that I barely miss any time with Roxey. As has happened before during unemployment, Jordan has been fortunate to get more work with his side business and recently he has been able to help with viewings and funerals at the same mortuary. I think we would both agree that this is not going to cause us to change our career paths, but it has been a blessing at this time strangely enough. (If any of you watched the Bachelor, we sure got a kick out of the gal that was a mortician, we could relate to how Brad felt!)
I love being a mom, but I will admit that some days I feel like they could film my life for a sequel to Groundhog's Day. The warmer weather has sure helped to brighten our days. Just the other day Roxey and I went outside and jumped on the tramp and played on the swing set. (Both of which we do not own, but our neighbors are so kind to let us come over whenever, in fact there has been talk about never putting a fence in so that our kiddies can have a huge play land. I don't know how they benefit since our yard has cement and grass, but we're certainly not complaining.) Another thing that has helped me lately has been my calling in the church. It is amazing how I would never in a million years imagined me being a Young Women's president, but the Lord knows me and it has been the best thing. It is a great combination of using my spiritual and creative juices. I was able to teach this last Sunday about temple marriage which was perfect timing since Jordan and I are coming up on our 5 year anniversary next week. It was wonderful to reflect and also instill in our young women the importance and immense blessing it is to be sealed to your family for time and all eternity. I love putting together little handouts for them to remember the lesson by, here is what I gave them this last week:
Then this week for our activity, I needed to have Personal Progress interviews. Knowing that they wouldn't come if it were just that, I called it a Pep Rally and said that we would be playing the Wii. When they got there, I split them into teams and they had to come up with a cheer or pep talk to get each other psyched about doing their personal progress. They were awesome and of course I had pom poms to make them even more peppy. One of the girls gave me a hard time for not doing one myself, so instead I did a headstand while they said the YW theme. Then they were able to play Just Dance on the Wii(I need to get this game, it is a great workout!) while myself and one of my counselors interviewed them.
Like all callings, it does get overwhelming at times especially because without fail you have something every week, but it also causes me to think about Roxey and how much I am going to appreciate her leaders and the impact they will make in her life. Hopefully I am doing a good job and not causing too much permanent damage!
Well, cheers to warmer weather and my husband getting a job here REAL soon!
5 comments:
Shannon,
I always enjoy reading your blog. Roxey will not be mute because you are teaching her sign language. I taught all my girls and trust me, they are anything but mute. I am also the Young Women's president in my ward. It is a fantastic calling. We will have to swap ideas some time. I think it is awesome that you are working in a mortuary. I hope you are well. Take care.
Shannon I was so glad you finally posted again! I know what you mean about Ground Hog's Day. I tell Chad that all the time! Spring has helped tons though. I sure hope the job interview went well. If there is ever a day that you really need a change bring Roxey to Henefer we can come up with some fun things to do!! I sure hope all is well. Take care.
Thanks for the update on you! It is easy to focus only on the kids. I was YW president, very rewarding, but very difficult, too. Hope to see you soon!
I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I hope to hear good news about Jordan's job soon. The Young Women in your ward are SO lucky to have you. That is a great calling for you. I just got put in as camp director so I'll get a little taste of what you do.
I never got a chance to comment on Roxey's pictures but I LOVE THEM! They turned out so well, she is so adorable. Michelle adored you guys so I'm glad it went well.
Hooray for warmer weather and getting to play outside!
We should get together soon. If warm weather ever comes I have a pass to the zoo and can get a guest in. I think it ends at the end of May so let me know when you can go. Roxey is adorable!
Post a Comment