Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Quarantine

'Tis the season for family trips, right? Well, our trips don't seem to have room service or bright sun shining beaches, that's because our trips consist of going to the hospital, the doctor's office, and back home again. Yep, you got it, we are a sick family. Thursday night around 7, Roxey's bedtime feeding, she threw up her cereal. Then at 10, when I just attempted to give her a "dream feed" she threw up all over me. Sweet Jordan decided to sleep in her room to listen in on her better; therefore, he heard her throw up yet again not too long after that. We then moved her to our room where she threw up again, so Jordan decided to give her a blessing. During the blessing I realized it had been since 4 p.m. that she had truly kept something down and now it was 2:30 a.m. I also remembered that an infant's soft spot becomes sunken in when they are dehydrated. So I felt Roxey's and sure enough it was sunken in, so we decided it was time to go to the ER.
There they were able to draw her blood, take a urine sample, and put in an IV. All of which we could not have done at home, so I am glad we in our sleep deprived state decided to go to the hospital. While there I was able to hold Roxey the entire time the fluids were going into her. She is "Little Miss Independent" and doesn't let me rock her anymore, so it felt nice to hold her in my arms. The tests came back indicating that she has a bladder infection. This made me feel horrible because the most likely cause is that feces got up in there. I change her diaper so promptly when I know she has a dirty diaper and I thought I was always very thorough.

After a day of forcing medicine into her at home and filling her up on Pedialyte, we took her in to see a pediatrician for a follow up. Fortunately ours was not available, so we had to see different one. When going over the cause, I felt prompted to mention that we have been battling her constipation for well over two months now (I left out the fact that our other pediatrician just blows us off anytime I mention it as a grave concern). Once this was said, she mentioned that the hard stool could have obstructed her urinary tract, thus causing the infection. We still have to have more testing done to see if her plumbing is all set up right, but for the time being, Roxey is back to her own self. However, due to going to the ER and the doctor's office, I was the lucky one to pick up a bug. You got it, as if it weren't bad enough dealing with my daughter's throw up and now diarrhea due to her medications, now I'm the one throwing up.
It was funny that Friday when Roxey was recuperating, I kept thinking what do you let an infant do when they are sick. I did with her what I would want to do and allowed her to veg out. She stayed in her pajamas and I let her watch some Signing Time, which ironically had a segment on being hurt, Roxey could relate. The next day, Jordan and I wanted to get out of the house and also reward Roxey for being such a trooper, so we headed to the nearest snow cone shack. If you are a snow cone lover, then you need to come our way. We both got the smallest size and yet they were ginormous! Jordan got a cup with just the ice to feed to Roxey. She wasn't too sure about it, so to spoil her even further, we gave her her first sippy cup.

It was truly hard to see her go through this, but it made me very grateful for modern medicine, our insurance, and more importantly, the power of the priesthood.

6 comments:

Russ and Kristen Olsen said...

Sad! There is nothing worse than feeling so helpless when your sweet baby is sick. I'm glad they figured out what was going on though, and that she is on the road to recovery. And I'm sorry you're sick too, because it's also hard to take care of a baby when you feel horrible :( There's a wicked flu bug going around. Baylor got it and gave it to both sides of our family... oops. I luckily only got some body aches. You've been out of school too long, you're losing all those nasty germs and immunity! :) Hope you all feel well SOON!

alison said...

Thank you for the e-mail. Prayers definately work! We are glad she is feeling much better and hope you are too! Let us know if they find anything further about her constipation problems.
I had such a convincing experience with the power of priesthood blessings last month when Brooklyn was at Primary Children's. I am so thankful for righteous men in our families lives. There is really no better medicine for our little ones! Sure Love you guys!

Summer Blackhurst said...

Way to be super mom and figure out she was dehydrated. It's good to hear she is doing better!

Heather said...

It was great to see you today, happy to see everyone is on the mend. We'll have to get together this week.

Meredith West said...

I am so glad she is feeling better. There is nothing worse that sick kids. I know I always feel worse about them being sick than they do. You are a great mom, and I love reading about Roxey's life!!!!

Boni said...

Man, we just went through this with Alex in March right before our Disneyland trip...nothing like going to the E.R. I hope you get it all figured out!